What Can You Do When Your Basement Floods?
The basement is the place in most homes where essential items are stored. In most cases, it’s one of the best places to keep things since it’s quiet and out of the way. However, if a flood occurs, that water becomes a serious threat to all your possessions. Books, photos, and textiles stored in your Hermitage/Donelson basement can end up completely ruined if they are soaked.
Structural issues and damage to walls and ceilings can also result from a flood in your basement.
If this happens, you may not know what to do. Keep in mind that a professional restoration company like our team here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson has all the training and technology needed to recover these kinds of items and get your premises dry.
What Should I Do First If My Hermitage/Donelson Basement Experiences Flooding?
- After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house? Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are the most prevalent concerns.
- Call your power company, electrician, and your professional water damage cleanup team immediately so that they can take steps to manage the dangerous combination of water and electricity in this situation. These professionals will determine the steps you can take in beginning your cleanup process without increasing the risk of injury from exposed wires, etc.
- While you wait for SERVPRO to arrive, there are some cleanup tasks you can do once you determine that it’s safe to do so:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
- Pro Tip: To discourage mold and mildew from establishing a colony on damp surfaces, scrub them with a solution of one cup bleach to one gallon of water - be sure to wear gloves and protective eyewear. Make sure you keep the space you are in well ventilated while you are doing tasks that involve cleaning solutions. SERVPRO can advise you here since we are mold remediation specialists.
What Are Some Things I Should Not Do After A Flooding Event?
Here are some tips to help you avoid further damage to your property after your basement floods:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and stay out of rooms where ceilings are sagging or any other structural issues are observed.
Here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson, we are always prepared to help whenever you are dealing with damage from water or fire. We handle large cleanup projects for commercial business owners and smaller projects for Hermitage/Donelson area homeowners, and we can get your premises Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too.
This franchise is independently owned and operated.