What Is A Proper Commercial Fire Sprinkler System For My Nashville Business
There is a lot to consider when you are in the process of deciding which commercial fire sprinkler system is best for your Nashville business location. Of course, the type of business you have will be a primary factor in determining the proper fit. Keeping both your operation and your employees safe is vital, of course, since a fire can be debilitating, dangerous, and costly.
WHAT FACTORS SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING THE RIGHT FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEM FOR MY NASHVILLE ORGANIZATION?
There are various sprinkler system types on the market, and the options available vary depending on the environment that the system will be covering. You will want to think about:
- the size of your building(s)
- the cost of the system itself
- building restrictions and fire codes
- the type of operation you run and its specific fire hazards
- your protection preferences as the owner
WHAT TYPES OF COMMERCIAL FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ARE THERE TO CHOOSE FROM FOR MY NASHVILLE BUSINESS?
- WET SYSTEMS:
- Attach to a piping system that constantly fills
- Will automatically dispenses water when a fire is detected
- Designed for environments that maintain a consistent temperature above 40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Not ideal for protecting sensitive equipment
- Most recommended commercial fire sprinkler system
- DRY SYSTEMS:
- Filled with pressurized nitrogen or air rather than water
- Release air that permits the water pressure to open the dry pipe valve, causing the water to flow into the piping system and out of the sprinkler heads
- Designed for areas where freezing temperatures (below 40 degrees Fahrenheit) can be expected
- Most commonly installed in attics, loading docks, commercial freezers, etc.
- PRE-ACTION SYSTEMS:
- Contain an electronically-operated valve that controls the water that goes into the piping system
- Similar to a dry system, except the sprinklers are closed
- Will not release water until heat activates the operating element in each sprinkler
- Typically seen in facilities that house high-value equipment, such as hospitals, computer rooms, art museums, etc.
- DELUGE SYSTEMS:
- Installed in the same areas as sprinklers but only opened by the operation of a detection system
- First ensures the valve is opened, and water is then released in all attached sprinklers
- Most commonly used where large quantities of water are required to control a fire quickly
- Found in power plants, aircraft hangers, chemical storage, processing facilities, etc.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help you get your Nashville commercial business fire safety systems in place. We can evaluate your premises and make recommendations specific to your location. Then, if your business suffers from fire damage, we can be onsite right away to begin the restoration process, saving you both time and money.
We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Clean, as well. Ask us how!
This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Can My Hose Cause Damage To My House In Hermitage/Donelson
A damaged hose will not only waste water and make outdoor chores more troublesome, but it can cause water damage to your home, as well. Unfortunately, you will often have no idea that there’s a problem until you find excess water around your foundation near the faucet or when the neighbor complains that you are flooding his or her yard!
WHAT ARE SOME WAYS THAT MY HOSE CAN HARM MY HOME?
Water damage to your home can occur any time water is allowed to run unchecked, and a faulty garden hose is a common culprit here. Damage could include:
- erosion around walkways and driveways causing the concrete to crack or surfaces to collapse
- standing water to pool around foundations which can leak into low-lying parts of the home
- soaked ground conditions in your yard could attract insects and wildlife that may move indoors and infest your house
- wet earth around large trees can cause them to fall, and they could end up on your roof or fencing
- wet conditions around your foundations can seep into your walls, leaving you with structural issues and possible mold infestations
HOW CAN I PROTECT MY HERMITAGE/DONELSON HOME FROM WATER DAMAGE FROM MY GARDEN HOSE?
You can take some do-it-yourself Garden Hose Repair: 4 Tips To Repair a Leaking Garden Hose (bobvila.com) to repair your hose if it leaks and creates issues. Here are some helpful hints:
- Pinholes are often only visible when you turn on your faucet and see small streams of water from punctured parts of the hose. You can use electrical tape to seal these tiny holes since it has the elasticity and weather resistance needed to be effective out-of-doors.
- Bigger tears in a hose can happen over time, and these will crack with exposure to extreme heat or cold. A hose mender - a short plastic or metal tube used to replace the damaged section - can be just the perfect fix here.
- A leak in your hose coupling is another cause of water damage. If you spot a steady drip coming from the hose coupling when you connect it to a source, the gasket may need to be replaced.
- You may notice that the coupling has been bent while you are replacing your gasket, so now is the time to replace that coupling, as well. A bent collar loses the watertight seal between the hose and a spigot, nozzle, or sprinkler, causing a leak.
WHO CAN I TRUST TO REPAIR WATER DAMAGE TO MY HERMITAGE/DONELSON HOME?
A professional restoration company like SERVPRO can be onsite right away to help you recover from all the issues water damage can cause.
You can expect our water damage restoration process to look like this:
- The restoration process begins when you contact us. Our representative will guide you through the crisis by asking you questions that will help us better understand which equipment and resources will best fill your needs.
- Next, we determine the scope of your water damage at this stage. We inspect and test to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture has traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration.
- The water removal process will then remove the majority of the water. We use powerful pumps and vacuum units to clean hundreds or thousands of gallons from your property quickly.
- We use specialized equipment to take away the remaining water that is harder to access. Our Professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers needed to dry your home or business.
- We clean all of the restorable items and structures damaged by the water once the removal has been completed. We are experts at cleaning content using several different techniques. Our professionals are trained to provide sanitizing treatments and to remove odors and deodorize your property.
- Restoration is the final step in the process of restoring your home to its original condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or significant repairs, such as reconstructing various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson Is here to help you with water damage to your home, no matter the size of the restoration project. If you have experienced water damage and find yourself dealing with mold, remember that we are mold remediation experts, too!
We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Should I DIY or Call in a Pro?
When your home or business experiences a disaster of any kind, even a tiny one, one of the very first things that will enter your mind - once you know people are safe - is, “Oh, dear. What is this going to cost me?”
If you’re a handy person, you will probably decide to see what you might be able to safely manage yourself, and that’s not always such a bad idea. If you’re NOT handy, however, that thought may still cross your mind, but it may not be the best idea you ever had.
When It’s a Good Idea To Do It Yourself
It may be a good idea to “DIY” it if:
- If it is safe for you to repair the damage
- You are handy, experienced, and physically able to repair the damage
- If you have the proper materials at hand to complete the job correctly
- When you can follow all the manufacturer recommendations
- If your warranty isn’t affected - be sure to check first!
- If the damage is not extensive
When You Need To Call In The Professionals
- If you cannot complete repairs safely
- If the damage is extensive, there really is no wiser choice than to call professionals to help
- If you are not sure that you are physically able to manage the damage, you should not try to do so
- In many cases, an item will be under warranty; many warranties explicitly state that you should not attempt to repair the item in question yourself, and if you do so the warranty will become null and void
- If items have been damaged that require specialized reclamation - such as some textiles, electronics, or paper documents - it’s best to have someone trained and experienced do this job, to make sure that the items will be recovered if at all possible.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help all our friends and neighbors if the worst happens. Don’t hesitate to call us for professional assistance if you experience damage from fire, water, mold, vandalism, or biohazards. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, as well - ask us how! This franchise is independently owned and operated.
What To Do While Waiting For SERVPRO To Arrive
SERVPRO is committed to being on-site right away if you have experienced a disaster of any kind. Our motto is that we are “Faster to any-sized disaster!” We’re committed to ensuring that you and those you work with and care about are safe, as well as that you experience the least amount of loss possible to your premises, buildings, and belongings.
Steps To Take While Our SERVPRO Team Is On The Way
While you are waiting for us to arrive on the scene, there are some things you will probably want to do.
- You will, of course, have already made sure everyone is safe. If you have had to call an ambulance for an injury, keep the person warm and dry to guard against shock, and provide any first aid, you feel comfortable giving.
- Contacting your insurance provider is an excellent next step. Take photos and videos of damage so that you have a record of what has occurred as long as you can do this safely. If your insurance policy is accessible and you have time, go over it to understand what your coverage is and what requirements you may need to fulfill.
- If any of the utilities in your home or business have been affected, contact the appropriate utility company so that they can come out and do whatever needs to be done to get your services back online. They will also know what to look for as far as safety issues and equipment failure.
- If your business has been affected, you’ll want to take steps to alert your clientele and business partners of what has occurred. If you cannot use your social media to make a statement, you can make some phone calls to the businesses you interact with to stop deliveries, for example.
SERVPRO Is On The Way
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is a team of professionals that maintain all the up-to-date training and equipment needed to get you back to normal as soon as possible. We manage fire damage, water damage, mold prevention and remediation, damage from vandalism, biohazards, and more. Ask us how we can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too! This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Tips for Buying the Right Smoke Detector
Smoke detectors are vital when it comes to keeping your family or workforce safe. They will prevent extensive fire damage by alerting anyone in the building to the occurrence of a fire, allowing fire emergency units to be called right away. The fire evacuation plan can be put into action so that people are kept safe, and it can alert you early enough that minimal damage is done, so you want to make sure you have the proper detectors in place.
How To Choose The Proper Smoke Detector
First, let’s look at the types of smoke detectors on the market:
- Photoelectric Detectors – useful for detecting large smoke particles from electrical fires or smoking upholstery
- Ionization Detectors – useful for detecting small smoke particles from grease or paper fires
- Dual-Sensor Detectors – have both photoelectric and ionization components
- Combination Detectors – may include carbon monoxide detectors
You can use the same type of detector throughout your building, or choose to use a combination throughout your location. If your building is large, it is helpful if all of them are wired together so that they will all go on alert at the same time. This will ensure that the alerts are heard, and everyone can escape safely, possibly save important items early, and be able to call for fire fighting personnel and fire damage cleanup professionals from a safe distance away.
The Right Locations To Install Smoke Detectors
- Centrally Located. Install smoke detectors in a central area on every level of your home or business so that they can be heard easily, no matter where anyone might be.
- Attic. If you have an attic, it is advisable to install a device that detects heat rather than smoke, since smoke detectors are not designed to be used in areas that are experiencing extreme temperatures.
- Bedrooms. For proper fire safety, you also need a detector outside each sleeping area and inside every bedroom.
- Outbuildings. Don’t leave the outbuildings out. They may not be used as much, so alerting everyone on the property right away will keep a large conflagration from building and possibly affecting other buildings.
Having the correct type of detectors in suitable locations can help you keep your home and your family safe. If you need help with any aspects of fire safety in your home or business, the team here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help. We can work with you to plan ahead for any disaster. We handle fire damage, water damage, mold remediation, and more. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, as well. This franchise is independently owned and operated.
How SERVPRO Can Help Your Business Stay Prepared For A Disaster
Whether you run a small, locally owned business or a large corporate operation, being prepared for any unexpected disastrous event is crucial. You will want to identify the right help so that the problem is resolved as fast as possible. In fact, more than half of all businesses close down completely following a major disaster because they didn’t have a plan or appropriate assistance to manage all the consequences of that disaster.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson can help you here. Our Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) will help you with putting a disaster plan together. All you need to do is provide us with some vital information, then we will go to work right away on putting your profile together. We provide you with important contact information for law enforcement, emergency responders, our offices here at SERVPRO, and other entities which can come to your rescue in the event of a disaster.
Our ERP will include the following information:
- Points of Contact for your organization
- Locations of all water, electric, and gas shutoffs
- A comprehensive list of utility service providers
- A detailed chain of command so that SERVPRO can be authorized as soon as possible following an emergency
You may want to consult with us to develop precautionary maintenance practices, an emergency evacuation plan, or to identify vulnerabilities in your company and on your premises. Just give us a call and let’s schedule a time to sit down and talk about all the ways we can help your business stay prepared for a disaster of any size or type. We’re happy to help you in any way that we can; we are also prepared to put together an ERP for your residence, too!
We are committed to helping our friends and neighbors stay safe and assisting in recovery from disasters of all sizes. Here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson, you can call us 24/7 for help with biohazards, water damage, fire damage, mold invasions, and more. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, as well! This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Protecting Your Home From Water Damage
There’s nothing worse than water damage for a homeowner. It can often occur with little-to-no warning, leaving the homeowner completely unaware that there is an issue; the damage from this kind of event can be significant. From weakening a structure - such as columns, walls, fencing, steps, etc. - to creating the optimal environment for a mold invasion, a flooding event can lead to serious consequences, no matter how much water is involved.
One of the best ways to protect your home from water damage is to be prepared in advance. Preparation can involve:
Maintaining the condition of your home is smart, both financially and with regards to safety, so make sure you keep your eye on the areas involving water. Windows and doors need to be kept in good condition, sealed well in advance of wet weather. Also, we all know what will happen if the pipes under your kitchen sink don’t get regular care and burst!
If you live in an area that is near a river or creek, or if you have drainage ditches on your property, you will want to take the necessary precautions to ensure that rising waters of any kind won’t get near your property. Some of these concerns will need to be handled by city or county authorities, so take a moment to find out who your contact people are, and reach out to them for tips and pointers.
If you have a spill or accident in your home, such as an overflowing dishwasher, that can be a huge issue when it comes to the clean-up. If the water is not managed properly and quickly, warped floorboards, baseboards, and carpeting can be the result. Take the steps you can to clean up standing water, and then give your friends here at SERVPRO a call!
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson can be onsite to help with any emergency you have experienced right away. We handle fire damage, water damage, mold invasions, biohazards, and more. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too! This franchise is independently owned and operated.
SERVPRO Offers 24/7 Water Damage Restoration Services
When a water damage event occurs in your home or business it can happen at any time of the day or night, and that means that the professional water damage restoration company you reach out to will need to be a company that is always available. You’ll be happy to know that SERVPRO offers 24/7 water damage restoration services to our friends and neighbors here in the Hermitage/Donelson area!
Water damage can be due to:
We’re heading into late Spring and early Summer here in Middle Tennessee, and it’s a beautiful time of year. It’s also a season that can be very volatile when it comes to weather, so it’s smart to be ready.
Heavy rains are known to cause flooding in the area, and sometimes it can be pretty serious. Tornadoes are not uncommon, either, and when one blows through it will bring with it a significant amount of water that ends up in some inconvenient places. No matter the time of day or night, SERVPRO can be onsite to manage the damages right away.
In any home or business, there are plumbing systems, HVAC systems, and business-related machinery. Any kind of equipment failure in the systems that involve water can cause flooding that leads to damage to your property. It can become an even bigger problem if it occurs overnight or during the weekend! SERVPRO is here to help you 24/7 in the event that you have experienced equipment or fixture failure involving water.
Spills of all sizes can end up causing damage to your home or business if that spill has not been properly managed as soon as it happens. We’ve all heard stories about the busy parent who started filling the bathtub, got distracted, and remembered that tub when they found the hallway underwater! No matter what type of spill or overflow you may have experienced, always keep in mind that SERVPRO is available any time of the day or night!
The team here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is ready to get to our client 24/7 to help with water damage. We also manage damage from fires, vandalism, biohazards, and mold infestations. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too! This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Checking Your Home For Storm Damage
Here in Middle Tennessee, springtime can be pretty wild weather-wise. From heavy rains and high winds to hail, lightning, and tornadoes, you never really know what to expect. Your home can wind up in the path of destruction, too - and even if you experience only minor damage from bad weather, these damages can cause long-term problems that will be costly if left unrepaired.
Assessing the damage right when it happens will allow you to get repairs completed quickly. Even if you think your home suffered little-to-no damage during a storm, it’s important to run through a checklist for problems.
Here’s a helpful list you can use when checking your home for storm damage:
Tree branches and other debris left on your roof can indicate larger impacts have occurred during the storm. Water may have leaked in through holes created by such events.
Scan the roof in as much detail as possible; see if any shingles are missing or if they have slipped during the storm. Cracked shingles are another sign of weather damage to your home and could indicate a larger impact from debris.
If you see any clear damp patches either outside or inside your home, that means water has gotten into them. It can take some time for exterior walls to dry out after a storm, so make sure to check them over several days.
A classic sign of storm damage in a wall is a spider-web pattern of cracks that radiate out from a central point. This indicates a serious impact has occurred on the exterior wall that may have affected cavity foam insulation. Smaller signs of damage include chipped paint or plaster, or minor holes in the stucco exterior.
Small cracks, glass panes that are loose, or even damaged window frames can all lead to much larger problems, and signs of water inside your windows indicate a small leak that could be a problem. Check also for damage caused by flying debris or high winds to your window frames.
FENCING AND OUTBUILDINGS
When you’re checking your property after a storm, look over any outbuildings and fences. Check for signs of water damage, such as dampness or water pooling, as well as any indications of impact damage. Take a walk around your perimeter fencing and make note of any damaged or missing panels or of damaged posts that will need to be replaced to secure your boundary.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help area homeowners with any damage due to seasonal storms. If you have experienced water damage, storm damage, or fire damage, or if you need help with a biohazard situation, a mold infestation, or vandalism, remember that we can be onsite right away, with all the tools and skills needed to get you back to normal as soon as possible. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too. This franchise is independently owned and operated.
Fire Safety Tips For Every Homeowner
Studies show that American households experience over 350,000 residential house fires every year. These fires often result in injuries, major property damage, and other serious challenges. Keeping your home and your loved ones as safe as possible is important to you as a homeowner, we know, so with that in mind we decided to share some fire safety tips that every homeowner can use:
Install good quality smoke alarms in your home; using a professional installation company will ensure that these alarms are the appropriate type for your space and that they are put in the right areas for maximum safety. Carbon Monoxide alarms are good to have in your home, as well, since CO is an odorless and colorless gas produced by burning fuels and such an alarm can also let you know if a fire has started. There are remote monitors available today to let you know if there is a fire in your home while you are away. They can be plugged into an electrical outlet easily and connected to your internet, and you will be notified by the app you download on your phone.
Be sure that you have at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher readily accessible in your home. Show everyone in the home where it is and how to use it, and make sure to keep it in good repair year-round.
Have your wood-burning fireplace inspected annually in the fall before you use it during cold weather. Your HVAC unit should be looked over at this point as well. Employ a professional for these tasks.
Have an escape plan for your family, and make sure everyone understands it and can follow the plan in case of fire. Second-story homes should have an escape ladder onsite in case of fire or other emergency situations.
During home repair or remodeling, use fire-resistant building materials whenever available to maximum fire safety in your home. For example, using a fire retardant brand of insulation can be a huge part of keeping your home fire safe.
The SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson team is available anytime to help with fire safety. Our focus is to assist you with home or commercial clean-up after fire damage, water damage, biohazards, and other disasters - both small and large. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too. This franchise is independently owned and operated.