Tips for Buying the Right Smoke Detector
Smoke detectors are vital when it comes to keeping your family or workforce safe. They will prevent extensive fire damage by alerting anyone in the building to the occurrence of a fire, allowing fire emergency units to be called right away. The fire evacuation plan can be put into action so that people are kept safe, and it can alert you early enough that minimal damage is done, so you want to make sure you have the proper detectors in place.
How To Choose The Proper Smoke Detector
First, let’s look at the types of smoke detectors on the market:
- Photoelectric Detectors – useful for detecting large smoke particles from electrical fires or smoking upholstery
- Ionization Detectors – useful for detecting small smoke particles from grease or paper fires
- Dual-Sensor Detectors – have both photoelectric and ionization components
- Combination Detectors – may include carbon monoxide detectors
You can use the same type of detector throughout your building, or choose to use a combination throughout your location. If your building is large, it is helpful if all of them are wired together so that they will all go on alert at the same time. This will ensure that the alerts are heard, and everyone can escape safely, possibly save important items early, and be able to call for fire fighting personnel and fire damage cleanup professionals from a safe distance away.
The Right Locations To Install Smoke Detectors
- Centrally Located. Install smoke detectors in a central area on every level of your home or business so that they can be heard easily, no matter where anyone might be.
- Attic. If you have an attic, it is advisable to install a device that detects heat rather than smoke, since smoke detectors are not designed to be used in areas that are experiencing extreme temperatures.
- Bedrooms. For proper fire safety, you also need a detector outside each sleeping area and inside every bedroom.
- Outbuildings. Don’t leave the outbuildings out. They may not be used as much, so alerting everyone on the property right away will keep a large conflagration from building and possibly affecting other buildings.
Having the correct type of detectors in suitable locations can help you keep your home and your family safe. If you need help with any aspects of fire safety in your home or business, the team here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help. We can work with you to plan ahead for any disaster. We handle fire damage, water damage, mold remediation, and more. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, as well. This franchise is independently owned and operated.