What To Do After A Pipe Bursts In Your Business
If a pipe bursts in your business, you will need to handle the issue quickly so that your premises and equipment don’t get destroyed due to any flooding. A burst pipe in your business can be extremely costly if not handled correctly and efficiently, so taking the appropriate steps will be vital to making sure your investment is protected.
- Call the professionals. They will arrive right away to assess the damage and to assess the parts of the structure that may have been affected to make sure the premises are safe.
- Turn off any water that is going to the affected area; you should open the faucets that are below the pipe burst so that pressure can be alleviated. This step will help to prevent further issues.
- Begin to soak up any standing water as long as it can be done safely; keep in mind that “black (sewer/contaminated) water” should be completely avoided and left for the professionals to handle. Standing water can lead to mold damage and continued damage to flooring and walls.
- Open all doors and windows to begin the drying process by circulating airflow. Once the professionals arrive with their industrial-grade equipment, they will be able to complete the process.
- Ensure that electricity is turned off in the affected areas to prevent shocking anyone, and have everyone leave any areas that are affected. Water can easily run into electrical circuits and create a serious situation.
- Contact your insurance company to let them know what has happened, and make sure to take pictures of the damage as soon as you can after the event. Your professional water damage remediation company will work with your insurance company to make sure that everything goes smoothly and that you and the tenants of your high-rise tower can get back to work as soon as possible.
The SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson team is here to help you if you experience water damage in your home or business. We are water and fire damage cleanup specialists, and we have the tools and experience necessary to properly prevent and remediate mold. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too! Ask us how.