Restoring Your Hardwood Floors After Water Damage
The flooring in your home is a key aesthetic element and expense in every home. Hardwood floors are expensive, but beautiful if kept in good condition. Water damage on flooring can be time-consuming and stressful, depending on what type of floors you have. If you suspect you may have any type of water damage in your flooring, it is necessary to immediately start the cleanup process in order to ensure your floors are restored properly and avoid costly damages. Dismissing any kind of water damage could cause mold development, leading to more substantial and damaging effects.
Restoring your flooring.
- Wear protective gear. First, ensure that you are taking all the proper precautions for your health and safety. Wear gloves, boots, and a mask to avoid exposure to any possible mold.
- Clear the area. Move any furniture and clear the damaged room of objects before inspecting the water damage. Make sure the electricity to that room is cut off in order to take safety precautions and prevent any power surges.
- Dry up any visible water. Begin by using a wet/dry vacuum and towels, making sure you absorb any and all water that is only on the external flooring first. This can prevent it from leaking into the subflooring, causing more time-consuming repairs. Afterward, set up fans and dehumidifiers in order to properly dry and ventilate the area. The process of air drying could take anywhere from 7 to 10 days.
- Clean any debris. Clean any and all buildup of dirt with detergent and a brush. Continue to do this until all of the flooring is clean and free of debris. Keep the fans and humidifiers running, and rinse the floors with clean water after you have finished.
- Refinish the flooring. After the floors have been thoroughly cleaned and dried out, they may still have some cracks and blemishes. This is expected through the process, and the floors can be refinished now that they are restored and clean.
It is important to have the proper knowledge and equipment to thoroughly finish the hardwood flooring restoration process. At SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson, we understand how overwhelming and stressful water damage can be. We specialize in water damage restoration and would be happy to help and take the stress off your shoulders. Reach us at (615) 885-3906 or seek assistance online!