If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 885-3906

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Are The Most Common Causes Of House Fires?

6/30/2022 (Permalink)

In seconds, a fire can ignite and spread uncontrollably, decimating your Hermitage/Donelson home or business in minutes. According to reports, there are more than 350,000 house fires every year in the U.S. They can be started in many ways, generally falling into either of these two categories: combustible materials or chemical reactions. 

Here are some of the most common causes of house fires:

  • Cooking. This is probably the most common and is often caused by grease overheating on a stove or oven. Grease is very flammable and can combust spontaneously. Once it is ignited, it isn’t easy to control. Never leave the kitchen unattended when cooking in oil or if the food produces grease.
  • Heaters. Space and baseboard heaters are common causes of fire as well, especially if items made of fabric or combustible materials are placed too close to them. Electrical heaters are also dangerous if faulty wiring or flammable items get too near. 
  • Electrical Wiring. Short circuits causing arcing are another culprit, as are overloaded circuits.
  • Smoking. Cigarette butts dropped on furniture, carpets, or other flammable materials are another common cause of house fires. This often happens due to the smoker falling asleep. Smoking in a bed is hazardous since it only takes one stray ash to ignite bedding or clothing. 

What Are Some Common Causes Of Fires In Your Yard?

As you enjoy the beautiful summertime weather here in Tennessee, be aware of some common outdoor fire hazards:

  • Barbecues/Fire Pits. Ensure you aren’t burning trash or any other material that could put off toxic fumes. Keep children and pets away from open flames and hot metal. Before you even light your fire, have a hose or bucket of water and a shovel within easy reach, just in case. If there is an emergency, extinguish the flames with water and cover the hot embers using the shovel. Even once the fire is out, the embers and ashes can remain hot for hours afterward and quickly reignite. 
  • Chemicals. Residential chemical fires occur when vapors from gas and other petroleum liquids reach a high temperature or when the fumes contact a source of an open flame.   
  • Store all fuels and other chemicals in their proper containers and keep them in locations protected from heat. 
  • Oily Rags. Another cause of fires is when oily rags spontaneously heat up. Never store oil-soaked or chemical-soaked rags after they are used, and never stack them in a pile. Heat can be spontaneously generated as the fumes combine with oxygen. These rags should be spread out outdoors until the oil evaporates. Once thoroughly dry, they can be washed for reuse. 

If you experience damage from fire or water, call us at (615) 885 3906, or contact us online. The team here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson has the training, equipment, and expertise to get you back to normal as soon as possible. 

This franchise is independently owned and operated.

Other News

View Recent Posts