How Do You Clean Smoke Damage In Your Kitchen?
The smoke damage caused by a kitchen fire can be challenging to deal with and very hard to get rid of. In the event of an oven or stove fire in your Nashville kitchen, you may have a mess that requires the help of professionals. A professional restoration company will know how to deal with the residue and odor left behind.
The acidity of smoke and soot can make them complex materials to remove. Such substances contain harmful particles to breathe, so it will be essential to clean the smoke damage entirely out of your kitchen as soon as possible.
Are There Steps I Can Take To Alleviate Smoke Damage In My Kitchen?
There are some steps you can take yourself to help manage some of the damage, such as:
- You can alleviate smoke damage using items you probably have in your home, like rubbing alcohol, vinegar, degreaser, and hot water. Using a dry-cleaning sponge is also a good idea, although you may not have one of those handy.
- Open all the windows, no matter what the temperature may be - ventilation is essential. Use fans, if necessary, to get air moving, and turn off your HVAC system to prevent the spread of the smoke and soot and their harmful particles.
- Wear personal protection equipment, such as long pants and long sleeves. Gloves and eye protection are essential, as well, since you will be freeing soot as you clean. Lay down floor protection and remove furniture that is not damaged. You may be able to cover items with plastic if the area affected is small, but if the whole kitchen has been affected, it may be easier to remove everything and seal off areas that are not damaged. If the damage is too severe for you to handle, be sure to contact a licensed restoration professional like SERVPRO.
- Remove loose soot particles with your vacuum, using attachments. If you have a shop-vac, that is best.
- Next, using that dry-cleaning sponge, wipe up soot and smoke stains. These sponges have special chemicals in them to lift stains, so they are perfect for the job. Never use water or cleaners before you use this sponge, or soot will be spread all over and be impossible to remove. As the sponge gets discolored, you can slice the used parts off with a knife to get a fresh start, but make sure you aren’t using a dirty sponge - that will be counterproductive.
- You can now use a clean rag and any cleaning agents you have on hand. Soak your rag in the preferred cleaner and wipe all the walls throughout your kitchen, whether you see soot or smoke damage or not. Wipe light bulbs, too. After this, you should use soapy water to wipe down everything. Refresh your water throughout the process. Once you’ve finished, you will want to wash everything down with clean water, to be sure.
- After your kitchen is clean, you will want to dry all the surfaces, and run fans, too.
What Can SERVPRO Do To Help Me With Smoke Damage In My Nashville Home?
Smoke damage removal is such an intensive job that you may find it necessary to call a professional for help. As fire and water restoration specialists, the SERVPRO team has the training, experience, and specialized equipment required to restore your home or business. We are committed to providing superior service while restoring your property to pre-fire condition.
Here at SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson, we have the expertise and equipment necessary to help you recover your kitchen from smoke damages. Don’t hesitate to contact us in an emergency; we will be there right away! In addition to fire damage, we handle water damage, odor removal and deodorization, and more.
This franchise is independently owned and operated.