Should I DIY or Call in a Pro?
When your home or business experiences a disaster of any kind, even a tiny one, one of the very first things that will enter your mind - once you know people are safe - is, “Oh, dear. What is this going to cost me?”
If you’re a handy person, you will probably decide to see what you might be able to safely manage yourself, and that’s not always such a bad idea. If you’re NOT handy, however, that thought may still cross your mind, but it may not be the best idea you ever had.
When It’s a Good Idea To Do It Yourself
It may be a good idea to “DIY” it if:
- If it is safe for you to repair the damage
- You are handy, experienced, and physically able to repair the damage
- If you have the proper materials at hand to complete the job correctly
- When you can follow all the manufacturer recommendations
- If your warranty isn’t affected - be sure to check first!
- If the damage is not extensive
When You Need To Call In The Professionals
- If you cannot complete repairs safely
- If the damage is extensive, there really is no wiser choice than to call professionals to help
- If you are not sure that you are physically able to manage the damage, you should not try to do so
- In many cases, an item will be under warranty; many warranties explicitly state that you should not attempt to repair the item in question yourself, and if you do so the warranty will become null and void
- If items have been damaged that require specialized reclamation - such as some textiles, electronics, or paper documents - it’s best to have someone trained and experienced do this job, to make sure that the items will be recovered if at all possible.
SERVPRO of Hermitage/Donelson is here to help all our friends and neighbors if the worst happens. Don’t hesitate to call us for professional assistance if you experience damage from fire, water, mold, vandalism, or biohazards. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, as well - ask us how! This franchise is independently owned and operated.